Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Glimpse into the Past

I was recently asked by Evelyn Carnes (a friend I made on facebook), “When did you first start making pots?” Coming to think of it, I was making pots in my head all my life ever since I was a kid. I didn’t get to actually sit on the wheel and play with real clay till 2001. So it has been roughly 8 years now. I was looking at some pictures of my work from the first two years of my making pots and it is amazing how much my work has changed. I decided to share these here. You can see some distinct influences in my early work from potters like Nick Joerling, Steven Hill and also my love for high reduction fire and anagama.
These pieces were given as gifts, sold or I have them to remind me where I came from.



6 comments:

LillyShayStyle said...

I love these ceramics!

Charan Sachar said...

Thanks! There are some forms I would like try again with my new decoration technique.

Gina said...

Your past is as beautiful as your present! I hope to see more of those teapots!

Newfoundout Potter said...

Wow - those are beautiful but totally different forms. I guess that today you have found your focus with your Indian inspired pots. Somehow the older pots do not seem to be "you" after following your current work for some months.

mossbeachceramics said...

Beautiful. Sort of hard to swallow that you leave one set of beautiful forms for another set of beautiful forms while still grapple at the simplist things. You really have talent, more than skill, but talent. Good to see these.

Unknown said...

Charan- you have definitely found your "voice" and the beautiful dancing teapot was a hint as to that direction. I love this old work, but your more recent work is clearly coming from your soul.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...